Which breed is suitable?
There are many reasons why dogs become our best friends.
Our canine companions not only provide unconditional love and loyal companionship, but they also provide us with many health benefits. But before you consider buying or adopting a dog, please take into consideration the importance of choosing the right breed and size suited to your physical stamina, lifestyle and home environment.
So which breed will be suitable for you?
The first thing to remember is that every breed, big or small, has a distinct temperament and inherent traits.
For instance, breeds such as terriers, and working, sporting, hunting and guard dogs exhibit high energy levels. And unless their energies are directed into proper channels with extensive training and exercise, the dogs will likely develop behavioural issues. Then there are other low-maintenance breeds such as Pugs, Cocker Spaniels, Schnauzer Miniature or Standard, Shih-Tzu and Pomeranian dogs that are ideal companions for elderly people.
Apartment living or homes with yards:
Ultimately, your choice of breed should complement your lifestyle and home environment. Here are some questions you should consider —
- What breed dog of would be best suited for indoor living?
- Is the apartment block dog-friendly?
- Is there a dog park or a suitable walking track close by?
- Is my back yard suitable, secure and safe for a dog?
- Will my dog be able to relieve himself during the day while I’m at work?
- Will my dog bark or destroy any items when I am not around?
- Will I have time to groom my dog [an important aspect of certain breeds]?
- Will other family or household members engage with [your dog]; especially young children?
- Are there any hazardous obstacles that could endanger the dog’s life?
DogSmart Australia offers busy people customised, in-home dog behavioural and puppy set-up programs.
In-Home Dog Behavioural and Obedience Training in the Greater Southern Highlands | Southern Tablelands | Macarthur | Wollondilly | Illawarra | Inner West Sydney | Inner East Sydney